10MT: A 10-Minute Teacher Interview with Michael Matera
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Michael Matera (@mrmatera) is a middle school teacher, author of Explore Like a Pirate and speaker. As a gamification guru and moonshot thinker, Michael transforms the traditional classroom into a high-energy environment where active student engagement is paramount.
Helping educators learn about the power of a gamified immersive learning environment is Michael’s passion.
In today’s show, Michael gives us five simple ideas for implementing game-based learning in your classroom.
In this episode, we cover five simple ideas for implementing game-based learning in your classroom. Topics include:
- Pick a theme
- Adventure Paths
- Mini Games
- Use Game Mechanics
- Build Challenge
I hope you enjoy this episode with Michael Matera!
[Stitcher coming soon!]
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
Want to hear another show full of ideas? Here’s my interview with Karen Lirenman and Kristen Wideen about the best iPad apps for the elementary classroom.
Selected Links from this Episode
- Smart Learning Suite http://cctea.ch/10MT-smartlab
- Free Differentiating Instruction Webinar on Thursday, February 9 http://www.coolcatteacher.com/free-webinar-differentiate-instruction-technology/
- Explore Like a Pirate Website http://explorelikeapirate.com/
- Explore Like a Pirate Book http://amzn.to/2l1GT7M
- Ron Clark https://twitter.com/ronclarkacademy?lang=en
- Ron Clark’s Harry Potter-like House System https://mrsbowley.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/the-ron-clark-challenge-sorting-students-into-houses/
- Shakespearean Insult Generator http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html
- Adventure Paths Vlog by Michael Matera http://explorelikeapirate.com/adventure-path-building-confidence-through-challenge-based-learning/
- Mystery Box Game https://explorelikeapirate.com/product/mystery-box-game/
- Kapla Blocks http://amzn.to/2l1LSVU
- ClassCraft https://game.classcraft.com/share/wDGcv6FpAWAyrrBhe
Michael Matera (@mrmatera) is a middle school teacher, author of Explore Like a Pirate and Speaker. As a gamification guru and moonshot thinker, Michael transforms the traditional classroom into a high-energy environment where active student engagement is paramount.
Helping educators learn about the power of a gamified immersive learning environment is Michael’s passion. Learn more and connect with Michael to come to your school or event on Explorelikeapirate.com.
Contests included in this show
- See the contest rules for the SMART Learning Suite and MakerBot Replicator Mini+ in yesterday’s show.
- BOOK GIVEAWAY: Explore Like a PIRATE: Gamification and Game-Inspired Course Design to Engage, Enrich and Elevate Your Learners by Michael Matera AND
- SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY: Mystery Box Game by Michael Matera
- Manner of Selection of Winners: All participants with a valid Twitter or Instagram handle who leave a review on iTunes for the 10-Minute Teacher between February 3, 2017 and midnight on February 5, 2017 will have their handles put into a random drawing to determine the winner.
- Geographic Area and Eligibility: This is being shipped by the author and the location that is being shipped to should be commensurate with the shipping cost to North America. If it is not, an alternate winner may be awarded.
- Dates: February 3, 2017 – February 5, 2017 at midnight EST.
- How Prizes Will be Awarded: All names of people who leave reviews on iTunes will be put into a random drawing by the prize administrator.
- Determination of date of winner: February 6, 2017 the name will be drawn and the winner will be notified.
- No purchase necessary.
- Alternate method of free participation. You may also enter with a social media posting on Instagram or Twitter linking to the show using the hashtag #10MT.
- Winner’s name will be posted on this blog before February 27, 2017.
- Void where prohibited.
The post #05: 5 Ideas for Using Game-Based Learning in your Classroom Today appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!